Our coordinates are
Denny Island is accessible by
- Air: Pacific Coastal Airlines flies from Vancouver to Port Hardy and then on to Bella Bella daily. www.pacificcoastal.com; Phone: 1 800 663 2872. Flights into Bella Bella are (almost always) met by Don Starr’s taxi van, which will take you to the government dock. Contact Don at 250 957 2582.
- Ferry: BC ferries leaving from Port Hardy, Prince Rupert, and Bella Coola dock at Bella Bella (McLoughlin Bay) and on Denny Island (Shearwater). Check www.bcferries.com for schedules. Check the ‘Inside passage-mid-coast’ route, or the ‘Discovery Coast Passage’ route in summer. Reservations are strongly recommended.
- Float plane from Bella Coola via Bella Coola Air: www.bellacoolaair.com or (250) 982-2545. Charter flights with North Pacific Seaplanes can be arranged from Hartley Bay or Prince Rupert: www.northpacificseaplanes.com or 1-800-689-4234.
- Seabus: Shearwater Marine runs a regular seabus between the government dock at Bella Bella and Shearwater Marina. See http://shearwater.ca/site/local-services/seabus-service.html or call 250 957 2305 for schedules.
Scroll down for these useful maps of the area:
- Map of the central and north coast of BC
- Map of Shearwater, Bella Bella and environs
- Map of main walking and driving routes of Denny Island
Below the maps you will find information and links to local services.
What you’ll find on and around Denny Island…
Sandhill cranes, black bears and the occasional grizzly, grey wolves, salmon in abundance, sea lions, humpback and orca whales…
Shearwater Marina offers fishing charters and speedboat rentals in summer. It is home to a large dock with power and water, fuel dock, the Fishermen’s Bar and Grill, a small grocery store, post office, shipyard, marine hardware store, sawmill, laundromat, salon and coffee bar. Shearwater offers a seabus service travelling to Bella Bella several times daily.
Bella Bella has a large grocery store, liquor store, fuel dock, post office, corner store, and the Koeye Café and Thistalalh Memorial Library.
There are several charter fishing businesses operating in the area. We can put you in touch with the services you need to make your visit to the Great Bear Rainforest the experience of a lifetime. Just contact us.